The Standing Committees shall be as set out in the Second Schedule of the Standing Orders. Standing Order 208 provides for the establishment of Standing Committees whose members are appointed by the Rules and Business Committee in consultation with parliamentary parties/ coalitions at the commencement of every Parliament. A Senator appointed to a Standing Committee at the commencement of a Parliament or at any other time during the term of that Parliament shall, unless the Senate otherwise resolve, serve for the term of that Parliament. The Standing Committees are set out in the Second Schedule and shall deal with the subject matters respectively assigned to them as listed below-
- Standing Committee on Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries to consider all matters relating to agriculture, irrigation, livestock, fisheries development, veterinary services.
- Standing Committee on Education to consider all matter related to education and training.
- Standing Committee on Energy to consider all matters related to fossil fuels exploration, development, production, maintenance and regulation of energy.
- Standing Committee on Finance, Commerce and Budget (which shall consist of a Chairperson, and not more than fifteen other Members) to investigate, inquire into and report on all matters relating to coordination, control and monitoring of the county budgets and to -
- discuss and review the estimates of County Governments and make recommendations to the Senate;
- examine the Budget Policy Statement presented to the Senate;
- examine and report on the Budget allocated to constitutional Commissions and independent offices;
- examine Bills related to the county
- budget, including the Division of Revenue Bill; and
- examine and to consider all matters related to resolutions and Bills for appropriations, share of national revenue amongst the counties and all matters concerning the National Budget, including public finance and monetary policies and public debt, trading activities and commerce, tourism, investment and divestiture policies, planning and development policy.
- Standing Committee on Health to consider all matters relating to Medical Services, Public Health and Sanitation.
- Standing Committee on Information and Technology to consider all matters related to technology, engineering and electronic research, information broadcasting and Information Communications Technology (ICT) development.
- Standing Committee on Labour and Social Welfare to consider all matters relating to manpower and human resource planning, gender, culture and social welfare, youth, National Youth Service, children’s welfare, national heritage, betting, lotteries, sports, public entertainment, public amenities and recreation.
- Standing Committee on Land and Natural Resources to consider all matters relating to lands and settlement, environment, forestry, water resource management and mining.
- Standing Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights to consider all matters related to constitutional affairs, the organization and administration of law and justice, elections, promotion of principles of leadership, ethics and integrity; and implementation of the provisions of the Constitution on human rights.
- Standing Committee on National Security and Foreign Relations to consider all matters related to regional integration, national security and foreign relations, international relations, agreements, treaties and conventions.
- Standing Committee on Roads and Transportation to consider all matters related to transport, roads, public works, construction and maintenance of roads, rails and buildings, air, seaports, housing and communication.